Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Busted...completely full and still wanting more

Day 3 and one more full day to eat our faces off and remember everything we've put in our craws and make it at home for those who are totally envious. No pressure. We decided to use our complimentary breakfast buffet pass this morning rather than our last day thinking we'd have more time to stuff it in. Regular price for this thing is $27.50 and we were so glad we didn't have to pay (we got comped as we had to wait a whole 5 minutes when we checked in on Thursday and they were so eager to please us) mostly because I hate paying more than % bucks for breakfast and Nahleen doesn't eat 5 bucks worth of breakfast preferring just her toasts...must be a Quebec way to say it. Piled my plate high with scrambles eggs, potatoes, white toast and jam, fried mushrooms, croissant and fruit, a glass of cranberry orange juice and bottomless dark nasty coffee. Yummy but not worth what they charge. Fortified we put our walking shoes on for today's mission. Find me some perfume. After much turning around and wandering up sidewalks that weren't on the map, screaming that I hate Toronto and it's shitty map system, we found ourselves at the Perfume Shoppe. They actually had it, my True Love by Elizabeth Arden, my scent, my smell if you will, what lured Donald to me and kept him by my side and only $29.99 for the big bottle wahooooooo. Problem was the insane lady we had to deal with. A pretty but overly makeuped, slutty dressed and highly perfumed, of course, Chinese woman grabbed me with excitement when she found my bottle. Ooooh true love, she exclaimed, so sexy, you have man, I reading a book now about Napoleon and his lady Josephineand he loved her so much, he write her letters, sometimes dirty letters, ahahahaha, you know he like to go down there on her, you know this? yes he write in letter he want to go to her special lady place and put his face there, ooooh i wonder if she wearing true love like you? ooooh ahahaha she very lucky lady. OH MY GOD. Beet red I'm sure, we hightailed it out of there and into the liquor store we went. I purchased a number of micro brews for Donald and Nahleen got some wine, duh, and a bottle of sake for our homecoming meal of veggie Chinese we were going to bring. Laden down with our alcohol we picked up Lisa mid way from her hotel and dropped our purchases off at home and left again for the food fair via the St. Lawrence Market in what I am renaming yuppie town. Jeez it was worse than 10 am at the Framers Market in Halifax, women and children and ridiculously huge strollers stopping to chat in front of booths, men talking loudly on phones because they are having IMPORTANT conversations...mind you that was most of Toronto, preppy, tiny little women having a piece of toast for breakfast in trendy cafes, felt like I was back home. But the food was incredible! Every type of cheese, meat and bread you can imagine, fresh veggies and fruits, baked goods and pastas, maple syrup and candy, cupcakes and handmade crafts. Lisa picked up some cheese and bread for later and I picked up gifts for friends at home. Really should have brought another suitcase. We made our way toward the harbour and popped into the Artist's Guild where we watched a man do some glass blowing and checked out their very cool gift shop. Wish I had another suitcase...sigh. Next thing we knew we were in the food fair indoor arena and the sampling had begun! Soy nuts, power shakes, quinoa chocolate milk, more coconut oil ice cream, chocolate this time, yellow kiwi and a special spoon/knife to go with it, specialty oils, energy bars and beef tips again! Outside Lisa got some corn on the cob rubbed with lemon and spices from the Jamaicans and I got a corn soup which tasted like chicken noodle with big hunks of cob in it. We made the rounds of the booths again and donated money to the various cat rescue groups and signed up for a few newsletters about farm sanctuaries. Tasted a very good gluten free cake and had some throw up in my mouth fake fish that really tasted like fish. I guess I should mention that I never did eat fish even as a non vegetarian. Washed my mouth out with some water and decided it was time for lunch at the food pavilion. This time we tried the Udipi Palace, more Indian food and a name less spot serving rotisserie. At Udipi we had chana masala, quite possibly the best we've ever had, sorry JC, spicy vegetable rice, pakora, samosa, lime coriander chutney and a creamed lime coconut dessert that was really good. I also had a scrambled egg like paneer crepe with curry sauce that damn near took my lips off. It was okay, I prefer chunky paneer.

mmm Udipi platter

Panner crepe
  We had Lisa's delicious aged cheddar and caramelized onion cheese and a multigrain demi baguette.

Bread and Cheese
The we had rotisserie. This hunk of faux meat looked so much like chicken, crispy skin and all, they made me try it first. Juicy, flavourful and melt in your mouth the texture was so eerily like chicken I knew I should spit it out but couldn't. Nahleen refused to try it until I checked with the cooks. Sure enough it wasn't chicken. I bought some extra to take home to Donald. He never got but a taste of it. I made a sandwich and ate it all. Full and very satisfied we did some final looking around then parted ways with Lisa as we had much food shopping to do and our final meal to eat. Took a trolley or street car or whatever they are called up to Kensington market where we spent most of our first day and back to the King's Cafe and ordered lots of goodies for our meal at home and some frozen product for recreation later. We popped into a Latin grocery and got spices and mixes but sadly no cactus. We had fun in the Blue Banana, the best store ever, and wished for more room in our suitcases. Finally we arrived at our destination, Rancho Relaxo, vegetarian and vegan friendly Mexican food. I was gonna get that burrito after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment