Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring....grow dammit

Are you like me and think that if you clean out your gardens in March you can miraculously make things grow? I have been kneeing next to the rhubarb and singing softly to it. Mounding manure and blowing warm gentle breath on the green onions. Dead heading herbs and patting them lovingly. Raking up the plethora of fallen pinecones around my new bed of fiddleheads and using encouraging words like "engage", "you've got a friend in jesus" and other literary gems. What I wouldn't give for some warm rhubarb dream, pan fried fiddleheads and fresh herbs in a salad of baby microgreens. I know it's coming, I have so many plans and just want to get on with it already! My new garden will be about a quarter of an acre bigger this year and we are doing some more above ground boxes just outside the kitchen for easy picking....probably a bad thing that close to the goats but I don't mind to share....just stay away from the hostas you buggers. We have collected so many old windows from spring and fall flings over the past few years I think we may actually get the greenhouse up and running this summer. It won't be pretty but it will serve me a space to indulge in spring fantasy in those nasty months of winter! I plan on doing a lot of heritage tomatoes and maybe Donni will get his famous u-pick tomato farm after all, but probably they will end up in jars. More asian greens this year too and lots of varieties of eggplant. More rows of blueberries, raspberries and currants and it might be time to invest in a serious patch of strawberries...we only got 4 quarts last year, not quite enough to keep his nibs in jam all winter as he makes his way through a jar every 3 days. So there's the plan. What are you doing in your garden?

2 comments: