Friday, August 20, 2010

Starch...and not the kind you want on your collared shirts

Being a vegetarian for the past 3 and half years I have found I replace a lot of my meat with starch; bread, potato, pasta and rice. Mmmm, getting a craving for a nice fluffy piece of bread as we speak. I have bought the quinoa, bulgur, couscous....a type of pasta but generally touted as being healthier...all those healthy grains, brown rice, whole wheat noodles and some products that I`m still not sure what they are. But I lurve the white bread, the white rice, the white noodle. I even heard that Kraft Dinner has thrown whole wheat into their noodles. WHY!!!!! Friends of ours who try to avoid yeast and white flour breads are into spelt and I have even made them a few loaves. I can`t imagine starting my morning with that mouthful of mouldy tasting crap. How about crunchy brown rice that takes 45 minutes to cook, in place of fluffy fragrant creamy white Basmati with your curry. Dry, bitter, and a hint of mould tasting pasta mucking up your layers of cheesy, tomato filled lasagna. Ughhh. Now here comes the rub. I have horrible stomach and arse problems and to date after multiple bodily invasions and food diaries think I should get tested for Celiac Disease. The one thing in common with all of my digestive problems is the gluten found in these delicious white flour products. My own Internet research of symptoms has led me this horrible conclusion. While I`m sure that my friends with this horrible disease will note that you get used to it and make it work, I don`t want to. I am stubborn enough in my love of all things white and fluffy that I will endure the pain, reflux and gaseous nature of this problem. I will however get the blood test just to be sure but I highly doubt that we will see any changes in what we fondly refer to as the carb drawer.

Think you might have this problem too.... check out http://www.celiac.ca/

1 comment: